A version of the full ITIS database is available for downloading via HTTP.
We create database dump files once a month as new data are added to ITIS. The
updated files are posted near the end of each month at:
Note: You must have your own database server installed and running to use these files.
The basic steps to access and use the files are:
- Select the appropriate file for your database (Informix, MySql, or MS SQL Server).
- Download and extract the file on the system you will use to load the database.
- Use the instructions contained in the download's readme file to create and load the database on your system.
- You should now be able to access the data via your local database system.
- All data in the archive files are in the ISO Latin 1 (ISO 8859-1) character set.
- Diacritical Characters: All diacritical characters in ITIS have
been modified to reflect their ISO Latin 1 (ISO 8859-1) representation.
- Archive commands are used to create a compressed tar or zip file containing all files associated with
- In the commands below mmddyy is the month, day and year the file was created.
- Informix files are created with the Linux tar command:
"tar cfz itisInformix.tar.gz itis.mmddyy"
- MS SQL Server files are created with the zip command:
"zip itisMSSql.zip itisMS.mmddyy"
- The MySql bulk load SQL script (ITIS.sql) was created with the mysqldump command. The zip file was
then created with the zip command
"zip itisMySQLBulk.zip itisMySQLmmddyy"
- The MySql load by tables file was created with a Linux tar command
"tar cfz itisMySQLTables.tar.gz itisMySQLmmddyy"
- The end-of-line character in the Informix and MySql files is the new line (LF
or \n) character.
- The end-of-line character in the MS Sql Server zip file contains the carriage return and
newline (CR LF or \r\n) characters.